Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Unconventional Ways to Find People to Teach In Mexico

Baptism

Top 10 things I learned this week:


1) So my comp and I have a favorite way of contacting people on the street. We love walking up to people and asking them if they know where Enrique lives (we usually just make up a name on the spot). 



Naturally because the name is made up they say, no sorry, but then we have their attention and we can reel them in with, oh, ok, we were looking for them because we are missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and we have a message to share about.... and then we get a new investigator! This method works very well because we aren't lying, we truly do want to help Enrique, whoever that might be, but it also breaks the ice with the person on the street. We have a packed schedule with investigators but it is a good way for us to just get their address and return to deliver the message another day. 

Anyways we did this to a group of probably 8 or 9 people yesterday who were just sitting outside of their house laughing and having a good time. They were very nice and to our surprise, the person we asked for actually lived on the next street over. Remember we just made up a name but this time the person actually existed. They told us where she lived and after we gave them our two bits, all 8 of them asked us to come back and talk with them another day! It was awesome! But the best part is now we have a referral! hahaha so we visited this mystery lady and when we called out, she opened the door and immediately invited us in and had us sit down on the couch. She was on older lady we were a little surprised because we hadn't even told her who we were or anything. Anyways long story short, turns out she was baptized years ago, and lives with a big family full of non members and less actives in the same house. Because of this one visit we have 2 new investigators with baptismal dates and like 5 or 6 more potentials! It was crazy! I learned two lessons from this one, the first, is the Lord works in mysterious ways. The second, be prepared for anything when you are asking for random people.

2) So this one is nice and short. We had another baptism this week and his confirmation was in sacrament meeting on Sunday. Well 5 seconds before they called him up to the stands to be confirmed my comp told me I was going to be the one to do the confirmation. The good news is I didn't actually die from the heart attack as I walked up to the stands. He told me what to say because I haven’t memorized that part in Spanish and then I just gave a blessing guided by the spirit. I learned two things from this as well. The first is the gift of tongues is real. The second is I found out we don’t really have a good hospital close by if I had died from that heart attack. Oh well.

I performed my first confirmation
And I didn't die of a heart attack!

3) I had something interesting to eat this week. It is called cabesa de perro or head of dog. hahaha the only problem is they didn't tell me it wasn't actually dog head until after I had eaten it all. Lesson learned, meat tastes much better when you don’t think it came from the family pet 20 minutes before you arrived.

Eating a meal titled head of the dog is not awesome.
What is awesome, is when you find out it is just the name of the dish
And not really the family pet.

4) Another quickie, remember the guy who sold me the cologne in our ward, Hermano mike? Well apparently he got married 26 days after he got home from his mission. Lesson learned, I am really competitive and now everybody thinks I really am going to try and beat his record and get married 25 days after mine.

People say I'm competitive

I say, who me?




5) The activity was kind of a bust and a blessing all at the same time. None of our investigators went but it was a great ward activity. We only got one new investigator from it but the good thing is everybody knows where our church is now because of the speaker that drove around town! haha. I will send you a video of the announcement even though you probably won’t understand anything. Lesson learned, even when you think something didn't work, it probably didn't but at least you had fun doing it! 

In the car there is a speaker.  I came up with the idea.  I talked a member into
advertising a fireside at the church over the loud speaker.
I thought we wouldn't be able to fit everyone in the building.
Turns out only one person who wasn't a member of our church came.



Ok I am running out of time so I will send the next 5 next week. Sorry mommy! Love you! Oh really quick, I went to Veracruz this week for my visa thing. That was fun! And ask dad about my interview with the mission pres! You’re the best!
Love Elder S. Hackleman


On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 10:55 PM, Amy wrote:

Elder S. Hackleman,

How are you? We are doing good.

The weather is supposed to really cool down this week. I guess I am not quite ready for winter yet, but it's coming weather I like it or not. There is a phrase from the movie, "Frozen" that goes, "The cold never bothered me anyway." I made a poster with those words, then at the end, I said, "Just kidding, I hate the cold" ha ha.

So we had _______ over for dinner today. I wanted to write to you about something that might apply to those you associate with when it comes to missionary work. This is something that has bothered me over the years about a lot of people and I hope you can learn from it, as far as what not to do. Maybe even help other missionaries you are around to help them learn as well.

A lot of the time people will be joking around and having fun with the boys, and it gets a little bit out of hand. They can be rather rude and eventually take it too far. The theme tonight seemed to be, make fun of Grant night and make him feel dumb for not saying the right things, or in the right way. I finally put my foot down and stepped in. I think it is never appropriate to say comments about someone that are derogatory, even if you think you are doing it in fun. It was not fun for me to hear it and it certainly was not fun for Grant. He tried to laugh along and go along like it didn't bother him, but believe me, it did.

I think it is going to be a while before we have __________ over again. They are fun nice people, who just say enough rude things to rub a lot of people the wrong way.

I know you are never one to say rude things, but sometimes I think other missionaries need to be called out on it, or at least have the discussion brought up to them. It’s just a thought.

I sure love you! I would love to hear the top ten things you learned this week on your mission. That was so fun last week!

Love mom

Hey mommy! Yeah I always hated that when people do that. Remember that one missionary we had in Sidney who hated me? Yeah luckily Mexicans are very respectful. I haven’t seen a single one who even sort of does that down here which is good. Tell Grantie he is my man! How is your toe doing? Oh and I do have some stories for you today! But first I have some doctrinal questions:) Your my girl when it comes to doctrine!:) Ok so maybe I just don’t know the answers to these because I was reading in my Spanish Book of Mormon, so maybe I just didn’t understand it quite right. They both come from first Nephi. So in 1 Nephi 13:42, it talks about Christ coming. It says something about the first shall be last and the last shall be first. Naturally I took that to mean Christ would come to the Americas first during the second coming because he came to them last during his earthly ministry but I thought he was going to descend on the dome of the rock? or no? I can’t remember what the dome of the rock is. I know the significance of Adam ohndi ahmen but I was just a little confused. Also (actually this isn’t really a question, more of a thought), I know there is a lot of patterns and numbers and stuff in the church but when I read 1 Nephi 11:35, I wondered if there is some sort of connection with the 12 tribes of Israel and the 12 apostles? Maybe one apostle from each tribe? I don’t know, what do you think? Anyways I will tell you some stories now.

(Stories moved to the top of the page)

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 9:35 AM, Tim wrote:

Dear Elder,

How was your week? Just as crazy as ever? One thing that I have been curious about, but have always forgotten to ask you is, how is your shoulder? Have you had any problems with it since you've been out? I put $20.00 in your account. I can't remember what the minimum amount was that you could get out of the ATMs down there. I hope you can get that. If not, and it needs to be higher, let me know.

How is your companion doing? What adventures are you having?

You're not going to believe this! So Papio South lost 3 games this season. Bellevue West, Millard North and Creighton Prep. First game of playoffs we beat Bellevue West. Last Friday, we played Millard North. They are undefeated at 10-0. Because we beat Bell West we got to have Millard North at home! We beat them 38-35 with a 27 yd. field goal with 2 seconds on the clock!!! It was amazing!!!! So now the Titans are in the Semi Finals!!! And guess who we play??? Creighton Prep!!! Not sure where, but I don't feel good about this one. They are a passing team and our secondary is still not great. But we'll see!!!

We are all doing well up here! I have an appointment with a surgeon this week. I don't know if you remember when I had my belly-button hernia repaired back in Sidney? Well, it has opened up again and it's much larger. So, I may have to get that fixed. Also, I will be teaching a "Fundamentals of Print Design" class for Bellevue University. It's an online course that starts November 24th! Because it's online that means I can set my own hours and do the work at night a couple times a week. I'm excited and a wee bit nervous too! Also, Midland University called and said that they have a class for me as well. That one probably won't start until after the first of the year. I'm really excited about that one because it's one that I will actually have to go into a classroom and teach.

We're all excited for Stake Conference next week. We're getting a new Stake President. I think I told you that. Your mom and Nathan are singing in the choir. They are having fun doing that. Speaking of music!!! Are you playing the piano??? I always loved to hear you play the piano.

Anyway, I love you so much tiger! Please be safe and always heed the promptings of the Holy Ghost.

¡Ámele hijo!

Papá

Hey dad! That is crazy! Be careful with that hernia dang it! That is soooo awesome about papio south! I realllllllly want them to beat prep. ANd $20 is perfect! I have had to use a lot of personal money lately because I haven’t gotten my transport reimbursements yet. Those should come through this Wednesday. When they do I hopefully won’t have to keep using my account. Sorry about that, but thank you for the extra help! It has saved me a couple of times. 

Aren’t you going to be worn out with 3 jobs???? and about piano, yeah I play whenever we are at the church. I might start playing for sacrament meeting. haha. Oh and I wrote a song! It is pretty cool! My comp loves it. I’ll try and record it this week so you can see. It is just the first part, but still pretty cool. I usually have 2 or 3 opportunities to play every week because we go to the church for every baptismal interview and church obviously. My wrist hurts because I played for 2 hours straight yesterday while my comp was in a meeting. 

Oh that reminds me! I had my first interview with President Cordova on Thursday! It went really well! He said he was amazed at how good my Spanish was and that I spoke better than anybody else who came out at the same time as me. He said I sounded like I have been out here for 6 months and not 6 weeks haha. He is super nice! He said a ton of really nice things about me to my comp too. He told me about it afterwards. It was pretty cool!

Love you dad! Thanks for always being the perfect example to us crazy boys.

Elder S. Hackleman

No comments:

Post a Comment