Monday, January 19, 2015

Parable of the Avocado Seed


Note from mom: 

The week Elder S. Hackleman left on his mission I thought it would be fun to take an avocado seed from one of the last salads we ate together before he left and see if I could sprout it into a flourishing tree by the time he got home. I searched on Pinterest for instructions on how to do this. I figured it was going to be easy. That was almost 5 months ago and I still don't have any sprouts. I have been very careful to keep it in the sun and keep it watered, but still nothing. Finally I decided to go back and look at the instructions again to see if I had missed anything. It turns out, I put the seed up-side-down. Well darn, I guess I blew that one.

I decided to try an experiment with my little seed. I think this might be able to turn into a pretty good object lesson. I have since turned the seed placing it in the correct direction. I wonder if the seed will be able to still sprout. It has been 5 months, but it has also been watered so it shouldn't be dead. This story will be continuted. Just like the quote from President Uchtdorf, it doesn't happen overnight.

I will report back at a later date. I plan on giving it a few more months to see if it will revive itself. In my mind I can visualize a wonderful, large, flourishing tree in my entrance way, springing forth with fruit. Even though most people would have thought it was a lost cause, I still have a particle of faith that it might be able to be revived.

“Too often we approach the gospel like a farmer who places a seed in the ground in the morning and expects corn on the cob by the afternoon. President Dieter F. Uchtdorf.

No comments:

Post a Comment