Monday, December 1, 2014

The Parable of a Children's Book

When I was young a read this book.  It is about a thirteen-year-old boy named Brian who is on his way to visit his father when the single engine plane in which he is flying crashes because the pilot had a heart attack. Suddenly, Brian finds himself alone in the Canadian wilderness with nothing but his clothing, a tattered windbreaker, and the hatchet his mother has given him as a present.  I never guessed that reading this book as a young child might help me save another person's life.

Thank you for the update on dad. I have been worried about him. I can only imagine the panic grandma had when he was having his heart issue. That reminds me, we had another farewell at church this Sunday. He was my best friend in the ward going to Santiago Chile for his mission. He accompanied us to lessons all the time and he was super chill. 

When we were there I was having some issues with my eyes again. I don’t think I have told you about this before because I didn't want you to worry or anything but I got an infection in my eye. It was pretty painful. It was in my left eye mostly but a little in my right. I can’t open them in the sunlight so when we are out walking around I am totally blind. I just listen to the footsteps of my comp and follow him that way haha. I don’t think he really knew how bad it was but they were very, very red so he knew something was up.

Anyways this happens for a few days and then it goes away so I haven’t done anything about it. Well this time it was particularly bad so my comp and I went into another room of the church during his farewell and called the mission doctor. I didn't want to do it before because I never want to miss out on a day of my mission and I was worried she would make me stay home and rest or something. 

Well, while we were in the room, this guy, I think he is like 21 or 22, came in with another Returned missionary and collapsed on a chair clutching his shoulder. He couldn't speak because he was in so much pain so I asked the other guy named Carlos what happened. Carlos didn't know. All Carlos could tell me was his friend said he couldn't feel half of his face. 

I watched him for a minute and I started to think of dad for some reason. Then I remembered the book, “Hatchet.” In the book I remembered how the pilot died of a heart attack and right before he died he was clutching his shoulder because of the pain. I looked at Carlos and said, “El tiene un problema con su corazon. el necesita un bendicion ahorita” which translates to he is having heart problems and needs a blessing right now. My comp and I gave him a blessing. I put quite a bit of consecrated oil on his head on accident because I couldn't see very well. 

After a couple of minutes the pain went away and he was able to tell us what was going on. He served a mission for 5 months, but got sent home because of his health. He has a very week heart and this stuff happens quite often but never this severe. He asked me how I knew he had heart problems. I just looked at him and said, “The Holy Ghost works in mysterious ways.”

So that was pretty crazy but I am glad we were in that room when we were! But on the bright side, I didn’t have to miss a single day of prosolyting! I stopped at a pharmacy and bought the eye drops the doc told me to get and I haven’t had any more problems with it! So all is well!

How is life in Nebraska besides dads operation? How is your toe? and pathway program? Getting straight A’s? What are Nathan and Grant up to? Oh and by the way I like your new coat! Looks awesome but in case you were wondering, no don’t worry about sending me one. I don’t think I am going to need it right now. Thanks though! It is pretty warm today but it is supposed to cool off tomorrow to like 70 or so. I’m pretty excited for that.

I love you all! Keep the cottonwood ward going for me and tell Becky and Tim hello! Give the kids a hug from elder Hackleman!

Te amo much

Elder S. Hackleman

PS... I feel like I am forgetting to tell you something but I can’t remember what it is. I will write it down when I remember so I can tell you next week.

Oh and my doctrinal question for the week also. I was studying scriptures about John the Baptist one day and I am a little confused with the timeline of things. I remember hearing somewhere that before Joseph Smith, he was one of the most important prophets because he prepared the way for Christ and because he baptized Christ obviously. But was he considered a prophet? Because I thought Christ was the prophet at the time? If he wasn’t, why wasn’t he an apostle?

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 8:48 AM, Amy wrote:

Hello. We made it back from our trip to Colorado. We had a great time. I know your dad sent some pictures. The day of the CSU vs Air force football game the weather was fabulous. It has turned cold again. We are freezing now, but at least we aren't trying to go to an outdoor football game in this weather. I am cooking pop in the oven cinnamon rolls right now, to help warm up the house.

Karen came back with us so she can be here for Tim's surgery this afternoon. I'm sure all will go well. We decided it was time for your dad to get his hernia fixed once and for all. I think he will probably have to have it done every ten years or so.

We sure have been talking a lot about you and Jaren with grandma. She talks about all the missionaries that come and visit her and grandpa all the time.

I would love another picture of you.

I sure love you!

Love,

Mom

From Aunt Christie


That's awesome that Seth remembered the heart attack symptoms from a book he read years ago. I've read that book. I've also had a heart attack that the only signs were pain in my left arm and nausea.  I'm so proud of him. I hope Tim is doing better.
Love you, 
Christie

No comments:

Post a Comment