Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Christmas Came Early

New Suit

Hey mom, I know the new James Bond movie came out in time for your birthday and I heard it was filmed on rooftops in Mexico, so I thought I would send you my own version just for fun!  This is Elder Webb.  He is the wrestler.


Me and my companion on the rooftop in a city called San Andres Tuxla. We went there yesterday and today to do the last zone conference. My buddy Elder Webb from the MTC is zone leader there. We did divisions yesterday with him and his comp.


I took a selfie with the zone after zone conference haha

Here is the zone. It wasn't taken to amazingly. haha President's son Jonathan took it so he didn't crop some stuff out, but oh well haha.

Hey mom! My week is so different from how it used to be. I am still trying to adjust to the whole sacrifice my own time in my area to help the areas of other people. This was our last week of zone conferences and we finally finished them! That is a relief. We got to see the new Christmas movie the church is releasing! I don't know if you have seen it yet, but it is really awesome. President received it a while ago and showed my companion and I while we were working on doing the changes for this coming week. It is pretty cool because I am the first to hear about things now:)

Ok so I don't know if this is the kind of story you are looking for, if not, you know I have tons of stories. I was very surprised because my first Sunday in this ward, I was in Ward council. Everybody was discussing why they never baptized and why they were having trouble retaining their recent converts. I felt inspired to speak.  In my life, I have realized that when I don't see the fruits of my labors, than I am doing something wrong. The moment I go a few weeks in a row without baptizing, I know their is something I need to change. The promise of our Heavenly Father is that we will see the blessings if we do things His way, and not OUR way. I want to show you guys how you can see the fruits of your labors. I then divided them in half and said, "everybody on the left side of the table, here is a piece of paper. I want each one of you to think of a non member family that you know. It is a family of 6, that is legally married by the government. Everybody on the right side will think of a family of 5, where the parents are not married legally. Write the names down on this paper." They then thought and talked among-st themselves for a while and finally gave me their papers. I counted a total of 29 references.  I then said,  "As one of Christ´s representatives, I will make you all a promise. If we can work hand in hand with unity, I promise you all that we will baptize one of these families of five in the month of December, and one of these families of 6 in the month of January and then you will see the fruits of your labor, but we will not be able to do it alone. If we don't work together, then I can also promise that the months of December and January will be like every other month. without baptizing."

When I said that, they all gasped and said Wow! It was a pretty good feeling to be able to help motivate them to take part in this sacred work. I plan on doing everything in the Lord´s power that I have to help that promise come true.

The members came up to me afterwards and said how excited they were to work along side me. I think the thing I had to remind them, was that there is a very large misconception concerning this work of the Lord. If there is one thing I have learned from President Cordova and Preach My Gospel, it is the fact that this work is NOT the work of the missionaries. it is the work of the MEMBERS and that the missionaries are just here to help, but NOT the other way around. Missionaries come and go but the members are the ones who have to make the friendships to keep the recent converts active in the church.

Love you mom! I miss you all!

Elder Hackleman

On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 4:27 PM, Amy wrote:

Hola, How are you doing? How is the AP job treating you? What is your week like now compared to what it was before?

This week has been a bit crazy. I was fasting on Fast Sunday to know what I could do to help unify our ward, and particularly our sisters. I felt impressed to put together a Cottonwood ward gingerbread display for the Mormon Trail Center. The problem is, I only had two weeks to do it. I made a sign-up sheet and passed it around during church asking people to sign up to do one little figurine made of fondant. I would provide the fondant to them the next Sunday and they would need to get it to me within two days. Among other things, this past couple of weeks has been really busy with other Relief Society things needing to be done. I put my faith in the Lord and got the ball rolling, not knowing beforehand exactly how I was going to pull it all off. I posted it on Cottonwood women Facebook page along with pictures of different things from Back to the Future such as shoes, hat, hover board, etc. Each sister could then tag herself with the item she would be willing to contribute. Last Sunday I came to church with a bunch of ziplock bags of fondant that I had made. Each person took home a little bag with the instructions to add color and shape it into something. I constructed the large clock tower and a bunch of pillars thinking I could add the items as they came in. I asked them all to be the size of a hot-wheel car. Yesterday, I had all the items delivered to me and I needed to drop it off at the trail center yesterday evening. I decided I had enough time to go to the temple and still be able to do the final touches in the afternoon. While I was in the temple waiting for the session to start my mind started raising about the gingerbread house. I felt impressed that the way I had assembled the pillars was not adequate and needed some alterations. In my mind I had the exact idea of how to pull it off. For a second I was feeling guilty that I was thinking about gingerbread while I was at the temple. Then I realized, this was the Lords work and the togetherness it was providing our ward family was the Lords doing. If it crumbled before I even got it to the trail center, it would have all been for not. I realized I was getting inspiration from the Lord of how to assemble the gingerbread in a better way. I came home and checked on the pillars, and sure enough, they crumbled with the slightest touch. I made the adjustments and then they were solid. The lesson I learned is that God really is in the details of our lives if we let him in. The amount of time I saved by going to the temple and having the inspiration to do things in a better more time efficient way was amazing.

Cottonwood Ward Back to the Future Gingerbread
Displayed at the Mormon Pioneer Trail Center
Omaha, Nebraska


Today our ward had a Super Saturday craft activity at the church and in a half an hour I will head back to the church for Stake Conference. All very important things. I didn't have time to do any more than what I did, but it turned out. Over 20 people from the ward stepped up and did one small part. It is like the talk about lifting the grand piano. If everyone lifts from where they are a large job and be accomplished.


I love you so much and I am so proud of you. Wendy Kenny asked me to see if you could tell me a little missionary story that I could share with the Relief Society next week during her lesson which is on missionary work. You have a week to think of one:)


I know this is all random and a bit scattered. I have to get used to Saturday P-days ha ha.


Love
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment